Please nominate Christians to this commission!
The following arrived in my Inbox from the Parliamentary Monitoring Group:
Nominations: Commissioners to the South African Human Rights Commission
Advertisements were placed in the media in May 2009 calling for nominations for five full-time Commissioners to the South African Human Rights Commission (SAHRC). The closing date for those nominations was 8 May 2009.
The Portfolio Committee on Justice and Constitutional Development, which has been tasked by the National Assembly with making recommendations on the names of persons to fill the vacancies in the Commission, has decided to reopen the nomination process. This is because the National Assembly may decide to nominate more than 5 Commissioners and may also decide to nominate part-time as well as full-time Commissioners.
Nominations are, therefore, invited from individuals, organisations, institutions and civil society for suitable persons to be appointed as full-time or part-time Commissioners to the SAHRC.
The nominees must:
- Be South African citizens who are fit and proper to serve on the SAHRC
- Comply with any other requirements prescribed by national legislation, in particular the Human Rights Commission Act, 1994
- Possess suitable qualifications, expertise and experience in the area of human rights,
The persons recommended for appointment as Commissioners must:
- Promote respect for, and a culture of, human rights, including rights to information and equity
- Promote the protection, development and attainment of human rights
- Monitor and assess the observance of human rights
- Act impartially and independently, without fear, favour or prejudice, in the conduct of their duties
- Actively promote public awareness of and education on human rights and assist members of the public in accessing their rights
- Be involved in the investigation of alleged human rights abuses or violations and recommend measures for redress
- Contribute to the research and reporting functions of the SAHRC.
- Full name, ID number and gender
- Contact details, including physical address, telephone/cell number and e-mail address
- Relevant previous experience (including relevant dates and organisations concerned)
- Academic qualifications.
NB:Nominees who complied with all the requirements set out in the advertisement of May 2009 need not reapply, as their nominations have already been accepted for consideration.
Enquiries: Mr V Ramaano tel. (021) 403-3820, cell: 083 7098427
Issued by Mr Ngoako Ramatlhodi MP: Chairperson: Portfolio Committee on Justice and Constitutional Development
Parliamentary Monitoring Group
Access to all Parliamentary Committee information
Tel 021 465 8885